Speed dating in bellingham
BBIC was not the only outside firm with an interest in Bellingham utilities.
The General Electric Company of New York purchased Bellingham's Fairhaven Line and New Whatcom street rail line in 1897.
They eventually settled on the name Bellingham, which remains today.
The first Caucasian immigrants reached the area in 1854.In 1858, the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush caused thousands of miners, storekeepers, and scalawags to head north from California.Whatcom (one of the original four towns that were eventually incorporated as Bellingham) grew overnight from a small northwest mill town to a bustling seaport, the basetown for the Whatcom Trail, which led to the Fraser Canyon goldfields, used in open defiance of colonial Governor James Douglas's edict that all entry to the gold colony be made via Victoria, British Columbia.The bay, where the present-day city and the former town of the same name derive their names from, was named Bellingham Bay by George Vancouver upon arriving to it in June 1792.Its namesake, Sir William Bellingham, was the Controller of Storekeeper Accounts of the Royal Navy during the Vancouver Expedition.