Dating grand haven
The Potawatomi and Ottawa Indians lived in the area for centuries and used the river as a trade route into the interior of Michigan.
Some of the long culture of the Ottawa tribe is being revealed through the excavation of archeological artifacts.
In August 2006, Eagle-Ottawa Leather Co., which developed from the 1838 Sheldon Tannery, announced it would close its local operations that year.
Given the importance of shipping and water trade to the city, the Grand Haven Lighthouses were built in 1839 on the south pier, to mark the most navigable channel into the river.
Grand Haven is located on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan at the mouth of the Grand River, for which it is named.
As of the 2010 census, Grand Haven had a population of 10,412.
Its depot and offices have been adapted for use as a historical museum.
Grand Haven is the first city officially designated as Coast Guard City, USA by an act of Congress signed by President Bill Clinton.
The act was Public Law 105-383 enacted by the United States Congress and signed by the president on November 13, 1998.
bringing tens of thousands of visitors as a boon to the local economy.
The state park also includes a campground on Lake Michigan, near the pier and lighthouses.